Sunday, February 1, 2015

Submission Review

Okay, after some reading over at David Wellington's Fear Project site (http://davidwellingtonsfearproject.com/) I have something I'd like to admit.  This is going to be tough, we have some good competition and I'm hoping that I can even survive the first round.

That being said, here are some of my initial thoughts about the contest so far.  Please remember that these are my opinion from my personal reading.  Your opinion may differ and if it does... That's okay.

  • Favorite submission: Amanda Rebholz, something about her story made me laugh.  I know this is horror writing but I honestly found it amusing.   
  • Biggest Surprise: Joe Sherry, having had a relative whom I loved die of Alzheimers I totally live with that kind of shared fear.  I actually had to chat with him for a few minutes about it last night after reading it.  
  • Common Threads: The only one I found is that many people like to talk about teeth.  Laura Hinkle, Catherine Bader, and James Hatton all had references to some degree about teeth.  
  • Something that caught me off guard:  Sam Jackson, because he used a point of view that I rarely ever see used.  I love First person past and Third person Limited, but second person is hard to pull off in a normal work.  


If you're one of my fellow competitors who is reading this and I didn't mention your name I apologize.  I did read everyone's stories and I loved each of them for their own uniqueness.  But these are the ones that really stood out to me as I was reading.  

Feel free to go read these stories, they're free and who knows you might just discover a new favorite author.  

No comments:

Post a Comment