Saturday, January 5, 2019

The importance of research

I find the biggest struggle with creating a lot is the burden of research and the rabbit hole it leads you down. You start off looking for whether or not a certain prescription would make someone sleepy, and by the end you are studying into what Ulcerative colitis is and suspected causes.

Many writers joke about the rabbit hole of research, but it is a real thing. It is important though. Checking into whether or not a car has a feature, or a medication can have certain side effects is opening up a world of possibilities. Your may find that one of your characters suddenly has a disease or dependency that makes sense. You might discover a creature that fits with another novel or short story idea you had.

I've also been learning to make different doughs from scratch so I can try to make my money go farther. Again it's a matter of research and finding more recipes to move outside of your comfort zone.

So while I may not have created anything yesterday, that time was invested in future creations. Finding recipes and techniques for doing pot stickers, pretzel buns, and other treats I want to make myself.  When you can reduce a loaf of bread from 2 dollars to about 75 cents it is a good motivator.

Yesterday I didn't create, but I fueled the tank for more creation in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment