Monday, June 8, 2015

An overdue post

I haven't posted on the blog in a while because I've been busy working on the serial short story that I've been posting. There has also been editing and rewriting on the novel I'm working on right now.  I realize that some people care more about the stories than about the thoughts of a writer but I feel that I have neglected it.

What I'd like to address is that I've had several people point out typos in one of my stories that I published in Escaping Sanity.  The story is called, "Rapture" and it is the second story in the anthology.  I don't want to give spoilers but I wrote the story after I had just experienced a loss.

While I was dating the woman who is now my wife she adopted a dog.  The dog was just a beautiful animal and one that I came to love.  She was a part of our life in a way that I wouldn't have expected.  She was there for us during our wedding, for the birth of our first child, and she was an integral part of our family.  That was when she got sick, that was why that story is so hard.

I've tried reading through the story with intent to edit but it brings me to the verge of tears.  It is surprisingly hard to edit something so emotional, many friends have felt depressed after reading it.  There is something about the story which carries emotional weight I hadn't intended.  I want to go back, to fix the typos, but to open that story brings memories to light that I want to keep buried for now.

I'm happy that my writing was able to bring such emotion to a story.  I was able to present a story which could change a mood, even if it was to make someone sad, which was flattering.  But try as I might I'm not sure I'm willing to go fix it.

Also, I understand that i'm late on last weeks story.  I apologize for this, but I discovered that a sinus headache from a head cold is horrible for concentration. To make up for this expect two stories in the next week. I'll be cranking it into overdrive and hope to have the first up by Tuesday at Midnight MST.  So look forward to that.  If you haven't read any of "A Wolf in Patchwork Clothing" then start at the beginning and enjoy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment